My DIY Weekly Roundup

Instead of writing a separate post about each furniture makeover that I am working on, I thought I would do a blog about the various projects that have my attention each week.  Some weeks there may be only one piece, but other weeks I may be ambitious and be working on several at the same time.  Now starts travel soccer season so both kids have commitments almost every night and that will impact my time with the sander and paintbrush.  It may also impact our nightly meals:  McDonald’s or cold cereal instead of the basic 4 or something from the food pyramid. J

This week I took on two pieces. The first was a vintage dresser.  I found this piece on Craigslist. I like that is was a smaller dresser and thought maybe it would fit in my foyer. I am looking for a unique piece for the entryway.  Unfortunately, it was an inch too long.  The bonus was when I picked it up I loved the knobs on the piece.  They were really unique. The owner said it came from the 1950’s and with the lines it definitely looked like it; Very Mad Men – I could see Peggy having it in her home.

50's dressers side by side unpainted

With the knobs being so different and the smaller size of the piece a loud color alarm was going off in my head… I love bright colors for furniture when I can pull it off.  So, when I stopped by Home Depot I found the color Watermelon by Bauer! I originally thought I would keep the knobs gold – but the more that I looked at the piece and the color – I decided to spray paint them a high gloss black (think watermelon seeds). The dresser was definitely in disrepair and really smelled of smoke. I googled how to get rid of smoke in dressers and saw if you put new fabric sheets in the drawers for a couple of days  it draws out the smoke. And I have to say that it worked, 14 fabric sheets later. I think because of it being in a smoking home the paint had trouble sticking to the surface in some spots. I washed it down and also put on several coats of primer.

50's dresser painted 1

But all in all it came out really cute and I love the color – and it is going to a good home today!

close up 50's dresser painted knobs2

The other find was this awesome oval mirror that I bought at a yard sale. I purchased two solid wood dressers and this mirror for $75. It was a steal! My Mom talked me into the mirror, I was really against it for some reason – I have too many mirrors as it is. But once I got it home I thought I would distress it and see what it looks like above my Hubby’s dresser in our room!

mirron unpainted 1

The mirror turned out really cute and looks great in Annie Sloan Old White, but it did not look good over the dresser. Sorry for no picture but it weighs a ton and I did not have that many hands. So I will try to sell it on Craigslist and hopefully find it a nice home…

mirror finished2

Good finds this week – but with the pool now open I am going to have to come up with a better layout for working on my upcoming projects so I don’t block the path to the pool… Which means Hubby will need to clean out the garage – and that is another blog and another story! What pieces have you been working on this week?

I am featuring this post this week on the Winthrop Chronicles weekly Link party.

Advertisements

Trackbacks

  1. […] 9 is my first DIY Weekly Round Up post where I feature my Watermelon dresser that I redid as well as my shabby chic mirror. I have to […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: